Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Washington Place Bistro

*DISCLAIMER* I wrote this post back on the 21st but haven't been able to get it uploaded properly for the past week... so I actually went to Washington Place on the 18th, not this past weekend when I was snowed in!)

So my resolution to blog more frequently hasn't started off so well. There's honestly been very little to talk about as it's January in Cleveland and the bitter cold has forced me into virtual hibernation, mainly resulting in cleaning the house, working out, and binge-watching everything on the DVR and my new favorite (yes, I'm late to the party): Orange is the New Black. I find myself laughing at things that aren't funny in real life but they're so uncomfortable. Great show, Netflix!

Anyway, let's talk about what I actually DID do last weekend! Saturday night brought the first official restaurant outing from my 2014 Cleveland Dining Bucket List: Washington Place Bistro & Inn in Little Italy/University Heights. Always have wanted to go here, mainly as it is has been featured on "Unique Eats" and Scott Kuhn is partners with Chris Hodgson (CLE food truck pioneer) with the Driftwood Restaurant Group.
Even the menu is pretty!

Let me start by saying, you will see a LOT of the restaurants on my Bucket List are more towards the East Side, since as a Lakewood West-sider I rarely venture over the invisible line to the other side of town, mainly since there are so many incredible options on this side! In all honestly, it wasn't really that far away, it just seems like it when I'm used to only driving a max of 10 minutes to get downtown.

For Christmas over a year ago, we gave the in-laws a gift certificate to Hodge's (which was good at any Driftwood location) so we thought it would be a great opportunity to get them to finally use it and cross our first place off the list.

The place is gorgeous and also functions as a B&B with rooms upstairs that are fairly reasonably priced if you wanted a mini-getaway. I definitely want to go back in the Summer and check out the patio area that looked like it would be lovely after the weather turns.

We ordered a cheese "slate" for a starter and I ordered a delicious fancy cocktail (the name escapes me) with Grey Goose, amaretto, honey syrup. so good.

For dinner, it was hard to decide and my husband and Father-in-law both ordered the steak specials, while my Mother-in-law got the Shrimp & Grits with the most delicious local chorizo. I ordered the Duck Pot Pie, which, according to our server, was her favorite new menu item. I'll let the photo speak for itself, but I could have had 2-3 of these. The pastry was so light and flaky and the duck was cooked perfectly.





And a theme you will notice going forward is that I NEVER turn down dessert at a restaurant. I like to say I have a completely separate stomach compartment since I can be completely full and unable to eat another bite of my dinner, but still can scarf down sweets like nobody's business!

Throughout dinner, we were discussing Little Italy and favorite places and Presti's was obviously a favorite and my F-i-L mentioned how he used to love at 3-4 in the morning walking by and they were making donuts. Well, lo and behold, the first dessert item was Presti's Donut Bread Pudding. omg it was so good!


The service was amazing and I can't wait to make a trip back out here during the summer when we can wander the neighborhood and enjoy the patio.

Final Rating: 4 stars, definitely.


Bachelorette Becca Week 9

Full disclosure before I begin… this recap could either be awesome-good or awesome-not-so-good based on sticking around for “just one more”...